Sunday 18 December 2011

ZEN

When you are under the clouds of sadness, even if you recite a mantra and pray, you are sometimes not able to lift yourself out of that feeling. In those moments, where is all the wisdom? It remains in a corner. Though our heads are filled with a lot of quotations, do we use them when we are under the influence of sorrow? Mostly, we do not. Though we have read books on how to be happy, do they help us? Apparently often not. It seems that we are only able to use their wisdom when we are in a good mood. It is most important that we learn to call upon our knowledge and insights to sustain us when we are in a low state.

Why don't we use our knowledge? Because knowledge and emotion work in different directions. For eg, we know that anyone who comes into our life is eventually going to go and all are on a journey, coming and going, but when that event happens in our life, how do we take it? Sadness envelops due to emotional reactions. Intellectually we understand, but emotionally we succumb to the events. Meditation helps us bring that knowledge into our emotions. With this change in perception, we become ready to meet any challenge. Nothing comes as a shock or a surprise. Understanding has been absorbed into our experience. Thus we become aware.

The wise person lives in the world, but not of it. He lives with complete awareness.
There is a Zen story which illustrates this. Once there was a famous swordsman who was on his deathbed when his son asked him, "What is your last wish, father?"
His father answered, "Oh, Matajura, my son, I had a dream to see you become the greatest of swordsmen, but I failed."
Matajura told him, "And I also wanted to become that, but the right teacher could not be found, and you also had no time to teach me."
Then his father said, "This wish is so strong that I am going to live three more years to see that it is fulfilled. Though I am on my deathbed, I shall not die."
So his son asked, "Who shall be my teacher?" His father sent him to Banzo, who was known to be the master at that time.
The boy went to Banzo and bowed and said, "I want to study with you and become a skilled swordsman. I am willing to devote myself completely to this task. How long will it take for me to master the art"
The master answered, "Ten years."
"Ten years?" The boy was incredulous. "Suppose I use every moment of my day and allow for only three hours' sleep, then how long will it take?"
"Then it may take thirty years!" The boy did not understand.
"How is that?" asked Matajura. "First you say ten years. Then when I offer to work twice as hard, you say it will take three times as long. Let me make myself clear: I will work unceasingly: no hardship will be too much. How long will it take?"
"Sixty years," said Banzo. "A pupil in such a hurry learns slowly."
Master then explained, "One who is in haste and keeps his eye only on the result and not on the process gets no result. I teach not for result but for life. Master swordsmanship means to be vigilant, to know how not to kill and yet how to protect oneself. You must know that in the sword there is no friendly edge. If I teach only for result, you will be sliced. What for? I care more for the welfare of your life."
Now the boy understood. He told the master, "Sir, I drop the idea of timing. I request that you accept me as your student. I will become the vessel to receive wisdom from you."
From that day, he was accepted as the master's student. Now that his mind was calm, he was to receive a special training in awareness. The first part of the training was to do many kinds of service for his teacher. He washed his clothes, gardened, prepared food for him kept the swords in order, and took care of many other things. In six months, he was not given a single moment to learn how to hold or use the sword, but he developed patience.
One day while he was gardening, his teacher came and hit him with a wooden sword. He told him, "From today I will come unexpectedly. If you are aware, I will not hit you. If you are not aware, I will strike you. Harder blows are to come.
"Yes, sir," the student answered. He was very serious and eager to learn. He knew, "My teacher is harsh in appearance but soft in feeling. I don't know why he is hurting me, but he must have some good intention."
Soon the student began to be ready for a blow to come from any direction and at any time. Before the teacher came, he would know it. In this way, he became constantly alert and prepared for anything. As soon as the master put his hand on his sheath, the student would become aware and look up at him.
After that, his teacher told him, "Now starts the second part of your training. I will come at night. If you do not awaken, I will hit you." Each night the student would know even before the teacher appeared. Day and night he was alert. He became a body with no desires. His whole being was nothing but vigilance.
After two years, one night the master came not to hit him, but to smile at him and praise him. "Now you are the best swordsman!"
"But you have not taught me!" protested his student.
"To practice the sword is not a big thing," the master explained. "I can teach you that in a short time, but to be aware of which direction the sword is coming from, that is the main thing. To be vigilant, that is greatness.
To overcome impulses, habits, and inertia, that is real mastery.Now go anywhere in the world. Nothing will cover you, for even deep sleep does not make you slumber. My mission to teach you is over. It was to make you aware."
In life, events come, vibrations hit us, karmas from the past give us blows. If we are not aware, they can throw us off balance. But if we are aware, we meet them as challenges. We meet them with the infinite source of strength hidden within us. We must come to know that strength. How do we come to know it? Through awareness of life.Our awareness must be built on reverence for life. Then all actions are directed from that reverence.
Nothing fetters or binds the person who is aware. Working, sleeping, eating, communicating, you are aware of everything you do as an act of reverence and love, honoring the one within who knows and is vigilant. Then whatever you do is for your growth and freedom. You do it without becoming attached or identified with the action. You see that your motive is pure, just to be, just to evolve, just to live and help others to live. In this way, you free yourself from the spell of greed and other mass values, and you feel the power and joy of self-mastery.
Source: Lead by rrknan & more from Jain teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment